RcGroups tech information thread. For plug and play setup we recommend purchasing a DSMX satellite receiver, otherwise you will be required to use a DSMX receiver and will require programming.
The FT Aura 5 Lite was created through a special collaboration between Flex Innovations and Flite Test to make a stabilization system that is flexible and does not eliminate the personality of the aircraft but enables you to get the most out of it, no matter what your skill level is. For pilots that have experience with stabilization in their aircraft, the benefits of the FT Aura 5 Lite may be obvious, but to someone who is new to the concept, heres what you can expect:
- Easy Configuration, Powerful Features, Flexible Design and Simple Setup
This stabilization system can be taken out of the packaging and installed directly into an aircraft without advanced configuration. A generic sport profile comes pre-installed on the board. Simply plug your servo leads into the appropriate ports and mount the unit in the proper orientation indicated on the included Quick Start Guide. Using the two buttons on the board, you can easily navigate basic features like servo reversing, gyro testing and even aircraft configuration (conventional, elevon etc.). Beginner Assist modes can even be activated without connecting the board to the Aura Config Tool.
- Smooth Flight Experience
On a windy day, or in less than ideal weather, stabilization reacts quickly to movements of the aicraft that are not commanded by the pilot. The stabilization gives you an experience with more control and authority over your aircraft.
- Clean Responses
The Aura is designed to enhance the pilot’s experience, while not interfering with the Pilot’s control. Your aircraft will fly as if it were bigger and in less wind, even though it is agile as you want it to be.
- Programming and Mixing
All the power of your mixing, subtrims, wing configuration and even differential thrust is contained with the board on your aircraft which makes it so even the most simple transmitters can fly an advanced configuration. It may seem intimidating but all of these advanced features are configured through the Aura Config Tool. The configuration is as simple or as complex as you would like it to be based on your needs.
- Small Hardware Size
It was important that the size would allow it to fit in even the smallest aircraft. With a 33x28mm footprint and weighing only 5 grams, this board is designed to fit in sub 250g micros all the way up to giant scale aircraft. (See notes below). Even with the small size, the FT Aura 5 Lite can control up to 5 outputs based on the configuration you need.
The FT Aura 5, like other Aura systems, is capable of flying any protocol, such as Futaba, Spektrum, FrSky, Hitec, Graupner, etc. With multiple ports for a serial connection, many receiver brands can connect with just a single cable. (DSM2/DSMX Satellites, Futaba S.Bus, or SRXL (Spektrum, JR Mode B, Jeti UDI 12, Jeti EX-Bus and Graupner SumD).
Beginner Friendly Features
- This mode makes launching or taking off your model a breeze! Launch Assist helps the pilot concentrate on flying their airplane rather than the concerns of poor technique when taking off or hand launching. The default climb rate of launch assist can also be modified within the Aura Config Tool to allow for shallow or steep climbs based on your preference. Launch Assist establishes a fixed climb rate while keeping the wings level and instantly returns control to the pilot once elevator or aileron inputs are made on the transmitter. Launch assist is enabled by default.
- This feature helps bring the aircraft back to a level position when the pilot is not actively giving input. A lot of work has been done with this tune to make sure it doesn’t feel unnatural or mechanical. Rather the pilot will feel like they are flying a well designed trainer that will smoothly correct to a level attitude. The speed and behavior of level assist can also be adjusted from its default in the Aura Config Tool. Level Assist is disabled by default.
Bank Limit Assist
- Something we have found while training new pilots is the tendency to over correct a mistake which turns into an unrecoverable situation for the pilot’s skill level. Bank Limit Assist keeps the pilot from crossing a threshold while still enabling them to feel in control of the airplane. For pilots that fly in smaller areas, the default Bank Limit Assist can be adjusted easily in the Aura Config Tool. Bank Limit Assist is disabled by default.
Easy Profile Loading for Endless Possibilities
- Aircraft Profiles – One of the features we are most excited about is the ability to easily load a profile for a specific aircraft model. While the FT Aura 5 Lite will work it’s magic on many aircraft, having specific tunes, mixes and custom settings for specific airplanes will make this system shine even more. We anticipate providing easy configuration profiles for Flite Test aircraft but are also excited to empower the Flite Test community to create and share custom profiles of their favorite model of any kind or brand. These profiles will be hosted online in a manner that is easy to find, search and share new profiles. The Aura Config Tool, a free Windows Application can be used to fine-tune and perfect your model. It’s been designed with the Pilot’s ease of use in mind. With the ‘New Config File Wizard’ and example Aura Config Files available for download, you’ll be able to quickly setup the Aura specifically for your aircraft.
Aura is known for it’s world class stabilization but also known for easy programming, backed by a deep feature set for advanced users. We collaborated with Flite Test to provide a system that not only gives a great flight experience, but can also help new pilots through 6-axis modes. Level Assist, Launch Assist and Bank Assist are all created to not remove the disciplines of flight, but to give peace of mind and the best experience possible from wheels up to wheels down. The FT Aura 5 Lite is a great introduction to more advanced flight control systems. Starting with this Aura will help you understand the characteristics and features that we have come to love, and you will be able to continue to grow with the Aura brand as your needs become more complex.
Other Aura Features:
- Enhanced Stability and Control for all types of Fixed Wing Aircraft
- Custom tuning through Windows PC, Laptop, or Tablet or on board through Quick Change Mode
- 3+ Flight Modes allow precise or aggressive settings to be selected in the same flight
- All flight modes are switchable with gyros “on” or “off”
- 3-Axis Gyro modes for sport or aerobatic flight. Gyro can be turned on and off from the transmitter.
- 6-Axis Sensor and powerful 32-bit processor for Beginner Assist Features
- Quick Trim feature allows simplified storage of trim offsets inside of Aura for optimum flight performance
- 24 Channel internal architecture makes Aura powerful and allows the user to setup an incredible variety of control solutions
- Aura can be updated through the Aura Config Tool if/when new features are added in the future
- Five Servo Ports can be individually configured as (PWM) Inputs or Outputs
- Dedicated port for Genuine Spektrum DSM® Satellites
- Dedicated input port for single wire digital connection via S.Bus® (Futaba®), SRXL (Spektrum®, JR® Mode B, Graupner SumD), Jeti UDI and EX-Bus or analog PPM stream
- Micro USB Port for loading model programs, user programming, and firmware updates (Cable Included)
- (1) Aura 5 Lite
- (1) USB programming cable
- (1) Male to Male Servo Lead
- (2) Adhesive foam mounting pads
Considerations for large aircraft:
- A serial receiver (like SRXL, SBus, XBus, SUMD etc.) must be used. A single remote receiver connection is not adequate for giant-scale aircraft.
- The Aura 5 must be well-secured to the aircraft for giant scale use. This means not only taped down with the included tape, but also secured with a hook and loop strap around the Aura. We also advise using the 3d-printed mount for the Aura 5.
- Power consumption of the aircraft system must be considered. Each servo connector can typically only allow for 3A continuous. Some servos for giant-scale aircraft can exceed 3A for a single servo. The Aura 5 will need to be supplied with adequate power for the entire system
I have the Aura8s in many planes of all kinds, when I seen that Flex Innovations came out with a Mini 5 channel version of their flight controller, it opened the door to try this tech on smaller air-frames without having to sacrifice weight. It is literally plug and play for anyone using DSMX protocol. There are some limitations on mounting for the PNP, but the choices available should get most people by. The instructions are very clear and simple and the default PNP set up includes no gyro - low gains/rates - high gains/rate and a "Launch" mode. I wanted to see how easy the non-Computer setup would be, and how well it would perform. There are a couple steps and things you need to do, but they are all done with the buttons on the board and stick movements. All of which is spelled out very clearly in the included one page instructions. My installation was on the 39" Edge 540v3. Simple and straight forward. Maiden flight with the Aura5 was uneventful, even in the very windy conditions I was able to hold extended knife edge while flying circuits. The beauty of this unit is that it comes pre-programmed with the profiles, and as already mentioned... no Computer connections or special software needed. Flex Innovations and FT did a great job on this one... and it is an excellent addition to the offerings from Twisted Hobbys.